Saturday, May 26, 2007

Kaiya Grace's Grand Entrance


It seems odd to be doing something as everyday and normal as writing a new post for our blog, when our lives have so drastically changed in the last three days. Kaiya Grace was born at 10:39am, Tuesday May 22, weighing in at 6lb 8oz, and measuring 19.5 inches in length. My water broke at 11:45pm on Monday night, which was our first introduction to middle of the night awakenings by the baby. We arrived at the hospital around 1am, and got to meet Kaiya face to face at just 9.5 hours later! Alright, maybe not "just", as those were the longest and most painful 9.5 hours I have ever experienced - I really don't know how it's possibe that after hearing about the pains of childbirth for so many years, I could have still had some unconscious thought in my head that I would be the exception to that rule, but I learned the truth to all of those stories for myself.

Enough about the pain, though, and let's talk about the joys of parenthood! Hyatt keeps telling everyone how amazing it was to actually see Kaiya's entrance into the world. Apparently, it kind of resembled the opening of an airbag - beginning with a head, and then a whole little body unfolded just like that! Of course, I will have to take his word for it:) Kaiya is absolutely gorgeous, and actually really looks like she does belong here in Japan! The nurses were all commenting on the fact that she looked like she had some asian blood in her, and I explained that I looked very similar as a baby as well. It's all in the eyes:) We think that she has her dad's nose and lips, and then she has dark hair and eyes like both of us. We understand that their looks change from day to day, but as of right now, that is our take on it.

We came home from the hospital yesterday afternoon, after finding out that her jaundice level was not high enough to be put under "the light". However, we did have to go back to have her blood tested this morning so they can keep tabs and make sure that the jaundice is improving. In the meantime, we're doing our part by trying to get lots of food flowing through her system so we can get that liver functioning! Kaiya is sleeping very well, though - and our biggest challenge is just trying to keep her awake so she eats enough.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many wonderful things that I meant to share with all of you about the adventures of our last few days, and all of the new things that we're learning and experiencing, but I hear Kaiya starting to stir, as it's about the time for her next meal (it's really quite amazing how it really seems that as soon as one meal ends, it's just about time for the next one to begin). We'll try and post more pictures soon, because she really does get cuter everyday (just when we think that couldn't even be possible!)...






3 comments:

randy said...

thanks for the wonderful pictures- she is beautiful. Congratulations -a job well-done. Your parents are very proud. Take care and rest. Love Aunt Gwen

Lori A.O. Salvador said...

She is BEAUTIFUL! What a precious gift from God. Nicole, you look great! You to Hyatt! Love you guys lots. The Salvador's

Seagers said...

Nicole...congrats on being a mom. I absolutely love it. Chase is 7 weeks tomorrow...and trust me, it gets easier every week!