Monday, July 09, 2007

A Visit From Nana



Nana arrived two weeks ago into the Hachinohe station where she caught her first "real live" view of her granddaughter! Since her arrival, we have had quite a few adventures, including everything from another trip to the Oriase Gorge and Lake Towada, to cherry picking, to a church picnic, to jam making. Regarding the jam, we did learn that the jars need to be heated in order for the jars to seal properly... unfortunately, we did not learn this until after the fact. However, some of the jars did still seal, and time will tell with the rest of the jars. I informed Hyatt that he can now tell his friends that his wife makes jam (I thought it made me sound very domestic), but Hyatt (being the wonderful husband that he is) reminded me that he did not marry me for my jam making skills (which is good, since I don't know how often I will attempt to make jam, now that I've done it once, besides the fact that this jam making venture was not 100% successful, although it was 100% tasty!).

Another "happening" of the past couple of weeks was Kaiya's checkup, where she weighed in at a whopping 9 lbs 3 oz (not that that is heavy, per se, for those of you who actually birthed babies of this size, but this is a lot of weight for Kaiya personally, because that means that she has gained almost 2.5 lbs in the last 4 weeks). My hope had been that she would at least weigh in at 8 lbs so that I could start toting her around in my Baby Bjorn active carrier... but once again I did not set my hopes high enough. She skipped 8 lbs entirely and went right to 9 lbs! She is also much more alert these days, and graces us with many smiles (one of which we actually managed to capture on film - well, not film exactly since this is the digital age...).

Now that Nana has headed back home, our hope (I speak for Kaiya as well as myself, until she can speak for herself) is to head down to Okinawa to visit Hyatt as soon as we can. Kaiya's passport just arrived in the mail today (a HUGE answer to prayer), which means that we can also try to catch a plane over to Seattle to visit friends and family there in August. We shall see!

















5 comments:

The GrizStaubs said...

the family looks great......I am not quite sure what to make of the Canuck flag, good thing you are completed your security renewal. Take care and keep in touch

Karin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karin said...

Hey Nicole and Hyatt - I found your blog looking for information about Misawa, and I liked it a lot! My husband Ed and I will be moving to Misawa in August - (and I'm going to have a baby next February!) We're Christians too... I would be very happy if you'd like to contact me... Looking for new friends, little babies and especially Christians! If you like, send me an email to k.voit*AT*gmx.de
Have a great time in Japan... Bye, Karin

Karin said...

P.S. I have a German email address because I am German and still living there, but Ed is American and working for the military, with a similar educational background as Hyatt... (Also, the email address still has my old name on it!) We just got married in April and will be living together for the first time in August! :)

Seagers said...

Nicole and Hyatt, Don't you love being parents? Kaiya is so cute and the smile is awesome. Chase has started to chit-chat, and it is SO cute. Hope all is well!

~Megan and Chase